The church of the Discalced Carmelites of the Iberian Province on Avenida Diagonal de Barcelona, which is also a Sanctuary of Our Lady of Mt Carmel, is celebrating one hundred years of existence (1921-2021).
After the abolition of monasteries in the mid-19th century, a first group of Carmelite friars arrived in Barcelona in 1896. With the creation of the Province of Catalonia in 1906, erecting a monastery was immediately thought of, the foundation stone being laid on March 25, 1909, with the work being completed the following year. Later, in 1913, the foundation stone was laid of the church, which was opened on January 13, 1921 with an act of worship attended by civil, military and ecclesiastical authorities.
The builders sought inspiration for his work from very different sources (Romanesque, Byzantine, Islamic or modernist arts), which resulted in quite an eclectic construction. The church is basilical in style, with three naves. The transept is crowned by a large dome. The mosaics, which cover many parts of the interior, especially the main altar, are of high quality and evoke the Byzantine and modernist inspiration of the artists who designed them.
A virtual visit to the church can be made using this link: