News News Friars, News
18 January 2018

Death of Mons. Adeodatus Micallef

Recently, on the 3rd of January, we received the sad news that Monsignor Adeodatus Micallef had died. He was a Carmelite Bishop, born in Birkirkara, Malta, on the 17th of December 1928.

Mons. Micallef entered the Order on the 15th of August 1947, was professed a year later and took the religious name of Brother Adeodatus of the Assumption. On the 15th of October 1951, he made his solemn profession and was ordained priest on the 9th of May 1954.

In his Province of Malta, Mons. Adeodatus held many offices: Prior of Birkirkara, Master of novices and, for one year (1972-1973), Provincial. In 1973 he was elected Definitor in the General Chapter, being mainly in charge of the missions of the Order. When this period finished in 1979, he became Rector of the Teresianum, an office he held for two years, when he was appointed Vicar Apostolic of Kuwait and was consecrated Bishop by Pope St John Paul II on the 6th of January, 1982.

During the first Gulf War, Mons. Adeodatue refused invitations to abandon the country and remained in Kuwait during the whole conflict.

When his retirement was accepted on the 14th of July 2005, he was farewelled by the Christian pilgrim community on the 20th of October that year, in a Eucharist in the Cathedral of the Holy Family, at which a multitude attended. When he retired, the Holy See decided to withdraw care of the Apostolic Vicariate from the Order, so Mons. Adeodatus was the last Discalced Carmelite Bishop of Kuwait. This decision particularly saddened Mons. Adeodatus who, despite showing his disagreement truthfully and sincerely, finally accepted it with humility and love for the Church.

Returning to his Province, he sought to live as a friar once again, placing himself at the service of his Superiors, with special care for the very sick, happily accepting whatever office entrusted to him, including barber for the friars who required his services.

After an illness lasting two months, which he accepted with great serenity, our much-loved brother died in great peace, surrounded by a goodly number of friars from the Province, who then accompanied him, together with a large number of the faithful, at the funeral at which presided Mons. Scicluna in the Valeta cathedral in Malta.

The funeral was transmitted live by means of YouTube and can be seen at this site: