Our brethren of the Avignon-Aquitane Province have been in Lyon since 11th September 2017. In the past, the Order had a foundation there from 1619 to 1792. Then in 1859, on the advice of the Curé of Ars, Fr. Agustín Maria of theMost Blessed Sacrament (Hermann Cohen) restored the OCD presence in Lyon until their expulsion in 1901. Later still, from 1946, a group of young friars resdided there until that House of Formation was closed in 1962.
A community of O. Carm. Friars also lived in the city of Lyon from 1291 until 1792. A pillar of monumental proportions from that convent is still preserved and thousands of pedestrians pass it every day. (See photo).
In response to a request from Cardinal Philippe Barbarin, the Avignon Province has decided to return there now. For the moment their apostolate is focused in the Basilica of St. Bonaventure in the city centre. There are three members of the community and the superior has been nominated as a chaplain and takes part in all meetings of the Rectory team. The three friars live in three apartments temporrily but hope to acquire accomodation more suitable for conventual life soon. In the meantime they offer us their present home and assure us of their prayers, while requesting ours for them.
We can see these three ‘founding’ fathers with Fr. Provincial as they stand beside the pillar from the old Lyon O. Carm. Convent.