“On Palm Sunday, [the 11th of April] in the year 1568, with the people of the town, we went in procession to the church, in our white mantles and with veils covering our faces. A sermon was preached there, and from that church the Blessed Sacrament was brought to our monastery. This inspired great devotion in everybody”.
In this manner, in chapter 9, paragraph 4 of the Book of Foundations, St Teresa described the foundation of the monastery in Malagon, the third of the Reform. So recently, on the 11th of April, the 450th anniversary of this event was also celebrated with devotion and enthusiasm by the inhabitants and institutions of this village in the Province of Ciudad Real, in Spain.
For some months now, numerous religious and cultural events have been unfolding in Malagon to celebrate this anniversary: the inauguration of a Teresian museum –assisting this project from the frontlines was Fr Ricardo Plaza, a Discalced Carmelite from the Toledo monastery─, a presentation of a video on St Teresa’s foundations will follow.
From the 9th to the 14th of April, dates surrounding the beginning of the anniversary, events of this kind multiplied. Standing out was the presentation of the memorial book for the 5th Teresian Centenary in Malagon, the opening of the “meeting door” in the monastery in which is represented in high relief Our Lady of Mt Carmel, St Joseph, St John of the Cross and St Teresa; also the declaration of Teresa as the honorary Mayor of the locality.
The celebrations came to an end with a procession with the image of St Teresa, writer, which is kept in the monastery and a thanksgiving Mass, which totally filled the monastery square. During the Mass, the Bishop of Ciudad Real, Bishop Gerardo Melgar, gave thanks in the name of all the people for the 450 years of the prayerful presence of the Discalced Carmelite nuns.